Monday, August 3

Thursday 6 August 2009 - Firsts

I had planned for last weekend to be relaxing....However, a new bar, (or at least newly named) Deja Vu, interrupted the original Friday night DVD option. Recently opened by a Bulgarian guy called Peter, who has spent large parts of his life running bars in exotic climes such as Ethiopia, Deja Vu - has a very relaxed ambiance. This could in part be due to the fact that it is "undiscovered" at the moment, but once the touchpaper has been lit, I predict success.

Even with only a handful of people there, Desi Kathy and I created our own merriment, this time, vaguely reminiscent of the last FCC debate (see previous post), we pondered the meaning and existence of altruism. We didn't agree at all of course, but had fun exploring the idea. Needless to say, Peter traded well that night, before we headed in the direction of Pontoon...

First Cambodian Club

I'm not really much of a clubber, but felt that I shouldn't miss out on the my first experience of a Cambodian club. The last time anyone mentioned Pontoon to me, I vaguely recollect that it had sunk - Pontoon, as they inspired name would suggest is a club aboard a boat. So...with one eye on the look out for Leonardo di Caprio, I climbed aboard. Frankly, it reminded me of Embankment in London and the club aboard a boat thing there (can't recall the name I'm afraid). After a brief, uneventful but enjoyable spell on the dance floor, we hailed a tuk tuk;

Boddhi Tree Del Gusto

Saturday was spent preparing a presentation relating to the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation legislation for my director to take with her to Bali. Unfortunately Bali was off for me. But a first trip to the 2nd of 3 Boddhi Tree restaurants was not. Kathy and I spent the evening chatting and eating well.....Meanwhile, Desi received a phone call from Peter to ask if he was alright after Friday night's drinks! Either Peter is a great marketeer or a nice guy. We'll have to make a return visit to find out.

Hash House Harriers

Sunday spelled the start of my fitness regime. Why do things by halves when you can join the hardcore harriers who run approx 10km through rural terrain round Phnom Penh, amidst the chickens, dogs and skinny cows? So, fearing that running 10k in the heat might be tough, and grateful that I had opted for a rabies jab, I took the proverbial bull by the horns. Meeting at the station at 2.15pm, the "athletes" in various states of fitness, clambered into the back of a pick-up truck which took us to the outskirts of PP to start the run.

Actually...it wasn't that bad - I 1) survived 2) wasn't bitten by any of the aforementioned animals and 3) didn't flake out in the heat. In fact, I really enjoyed it, although was not comfortable with the post-run exposure to the group as a virgin hash harriers. This initiation ceremony involved me quaffing what is known as a potty full of some diluted beer. I don't know that it was diluted, but guess it must have been on the basis it had zero effect on me and I am a self-confessed light weight when it comes to alcohol.

By the end of the day, I was and am still mulling over the idea of running the Angkor Wat half marathon in December. Watch this space.

First traffic accident

Just before the pick-up dropped me and Desi off to walk back to the house, there was a pile-up on one of the main stretches. Unusually, so I am told, an ambulance had arrived in minutes to pick up the pieces of a very broken Khmer moto driver. Aboard the truck, we had three medics, two Swiss and an American Khmer guy, all of whom banged on the side of the truck, at first sight of the accident. The truck driver obviously recognised and sign and let them off. They sprinted to the scene, did what they could and returned to report that the moto driver had a very bad break to his leg, which had left the bone piercing his skin. Any thoughts I may have had about their tales of international medical pursuits being exaggerated disappeared. Action as well as talk. Very impressive.

First trip to the beach...........To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOLLOWERS

Blog Archive