Thursday, October 15

15 October 2009 - Departures

Caroline has now flown out of Phnom Penh direction Bangkok, where the tuk tuks go just a little faster and the skyline is a little more starbound. I could have gone with her had I taken one man up on his most generous offer of a trip to Bangkok. Sat in Corner 33 one evening, I was approached by a very large man by the name of Jean (pronounced not in the French way but in the woman's name way - sorry can't find phonetic keyboard). Usually I get asked if I am Australian (not entirely sure why) but this evening I must have been looking particularly European as Jean took me for a Parisienne.

Well zout alors! I didn't really have to get Jean to cut to the chase as frankly he asked me whether I spoke French (not bad as a conversation starter) then proceeded me to tell me about how he was opening garment factories in Phnom Penh and Bangkok, and that he hoped I would visit him in Bangkok. Having been to Bangkok (that and I'd known Jean all of two seconds), I dismissed the offer out of hand, and sidled off from the PC to a soft chair as far away from jolly Jean as I could get.

I have recently attended a conference on the impact of the global financial crisis on Cambodia. The garment trade has been particularly badly hit forcing the girls usefully employed to seek alternative means of feeding their families. Incongruously, Cambodia, according to research (admittedley of a small focus group) has been hit worse in this sector than its other South East Asian neighbours. The conference did not reach a conclusion as to why this is or at least was (at the time of the conference).

Jean was last seen leaving Corner 33 in hot pursuit of a Khmer girl.

Kathy left the Outreach House yesterday, a little earlier than expected. From the little I knew of her, she was (and of course, still is!) a very very smart, focussed, witty American woman with a great blog and a penchant for Raffles and doritos, and a not so curious dislike of tarantulas. You see I told you she was smart. So, Kathy, wherever you are now, I wish you very many more happy adventures. Virtual farewells are so much easier.

So, now what we have is a Kathy-shaped hole in the left wing of the house, and what amounts to a spare room. Grab it while you can newbies (to be introduced).

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOLLOWERS

Blog Archive