Monday, October 5

5 October 2009 - Law in Action

Long have been I waiting for the evidence of the existence of the semi-mythical traffic laws in Cambodia. Today, I was lucky as just as I was aboard a moto half way up Monivong, biking against the stream of traffic, when we were pulled over by the police for driving the wrong way up a boulevard. The Police just kept pulling them over to the extent that the pavement was then spilling over onto the boulevard, causing a near traffic hazard in itself!

Part of me was very amused, given that I always drive the wrong way up the Boulevard of a morning and noone has ever questioned it in in fact it is so common place that visitors to PP including myself could be forgiven that it is entirely legal practice.

As time ticked by and I was not sure whether as a passenger I was in any way deemed at fault (in a sort of complicit way) and therefore whether or not I should leave the scene, my imagination set to work and my pursuit of an English speaking Cambodian was quite avid -hoping that inadvertently I had neither done or not done something to warrant a run-in with the law. Very amusing I'm sure, letting me think I might in some way be liable!!! Lots of things are funny on reflection aren't they.

Anyhow, you can possibly forgive my slight paranoia, as there is apparently a law in Cambodia which says that only the driver of the moto need where a helmet. He/she can carry four or five passengers, a child in front two more at the rear bookended by another adult or two, and yet only the driver need where a helmet. I love this law.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOLLOWERS

Blog Archive